Sunday, June 21, 2009

Blog Readers

I have been uging blog readers (or feed aggregators) for quite a while now. For personal stuff, I like MyYahoo because I can easily customize the look of the page and organize all of the information I like to glance over in the mornings (national & local news, weather, The Onion, The Smoking Gun, etc.). I organized a MyYahoo page about 3 years ago after my brother told me about it and I have used it faithfully ever since.

Then I heard about Google Reader, and I decided to start using it for work items about 6 months ago. There are SOOOO many library feeds that I try ("try" being the correct term) to follow, and Google Reader makes it much easier for me to do so. The up side: I handle collection development and I LOVE having book reviews delivered to me automatically via Google Reader. The down side? When I have been away from my desk or busy working on other things for a couple of days and I see I have 11 billion new items. It's somewhat overwhelming. Perhaps I am trying to follow too many feeds, yes?

1 comment:

  1. Information overload is a problem with this. I read many, but may skip them for times I have more important priorities. read many to start with and widdle it down to who you connect with the most. You'll miss things, but no one can be expected to know everything and everyones opinion. When you need specific facts, figures, trends, or whatever that is what search engines are for. Pick things you enjoy and that will benefit your job or personal life. If at work Job related of course...

    ReplyDelete